Ontario’s finance minister has launched a series of public consultations to develop this year’s provincial budget, which he suggested will be delivered earlier than usual because of the upcoming election.
Charles Sousa did not provide an exact date for the budget, but says the provincial election — scheduled for June 7 — has created a condensed timeline for the government to deliver the spending plan in order for legislative watchdogs and Ontario residents to properly examine it.
Read more: Toronto housing’s recovery falling well behind Vancouver market’s
As reported by The Canadian Press, the annual consultations will take place across the province. The government said that last year, approximately 71,000 took part in the sessions.
Sousa noted that the upcoming provincial spring budget will include a package of measures dealing with housing affordability.
Residents’ ideas for the budget can also be sent in by mail, email, or fax by February 9.
Sousa confirmed last fall that Ontario’s 2018 budget will be balanced — as will budgets over the next two years.
Last year, the provincial government delivered its budget on April 27.
Canadian market to face test of might
Gov’t should stop heaping new policies one after the other – OREA