Video series paying off for broker

One broker took a chance on a new video marketing initiative and it’s already paying out in the form of an increase in business leads.

“I just want to be innovative,” Shawn Allen of Matrix Mortgage Global told “You can’t be doing what everyone else is doing; people don’t like to read, people don’t have time to read … Youtube is the most popular platform out there right now so you might as well put yourself where everyone is.”

Allen uploaded a video – a polished cartoon explaining the company’s second mortgage products – to Youtube a week ago and on the first day alone it drew seven new business leads.

“It’s only been up a week and we got seven leads the first day it was up,” Allen explained. “Now we’ve been averaging 3-4 leads consistently (per day); it’s bumped up our lead generation, for sure.”

Online marketing is nothing new, with many brokers uploading videos, Tweeting information and regularly blogging. Allen’s approach is different in that it explains products in simple terms using a friendly design that is easy to understand – even for potential clients whose first language isn’t English.

And this video is just the beginning, as Allen has plans to record 24 more.

“It’s just one video in a series of 25 for that set on debt consolidation, refinance videos, online testimonials; that’s just the first of many,” Allen said. “All the other videos are going to be (about) the other products that we have; whether it’s a refinance, or debt consolidation, or purchase-plus improvement. Every product we offer is going to be (featured) in a video.”

The first video cost $500 to produce – including the software cost -- but subsequent editions are estimated to cost around $200-$300. As for what the software is called, however, Allen is playing his cards close to his chest.

“If people want the video they have to come to me and I’ll do it for them for $300,” he said. “I don’t mind helping people out; we’re all in it together.”

To view the video, click here.
  • Ron Butler on 2014-01-24 8:40:21 AM

This a very well done, inexpensive concept. Congrats to innovative thinkers

• Jason on 2014-01-24 9:12:11 AM

It looks great... but there is only one video? How is that a series?

• Kaern Deis on 2014-01-24 9:20:40 AM

Yep, I agree-- we are all in this together so what I did was create a series of 13 Home Buyer videos for $149 each, including the scripts at www.LoanOfficerTraining.

• Scott Dawson on 2014-01-24 9:36:25 AM

It's a well done video, but I have to call BS that this video with only 80 views so far on YouTube has garnered 7 leads the first day & has been averaging 3-4 leads each day since.

• Ron Butler on 2014-01-24 9:48:10 AM

Scott, it's great to see that I can depend on someone else to ask the tough questions on this one. I hung back on that precise observation. Hard to blame a sales guy for slightly exaggerating the numbers if he is trying to recoup the software cost by selling the concept to others. The results did seem a touch magical.

• Jessi on 2014-01-24 10:21:06 AM

Video is great but I have to call BS on those numbers as well. I have seen promo videos go viral to 20,000 views without any direct leads because it's generally marketing based on repetition. Keeping on the radar with people, etc. Especially with only 80 views, that is very low to get 7 leads. A series should be a number of videos too, not just one.

To further debunk this post, the commenter states "we are all in this together" which does make me warm and fuzzy inside but again is false marketing. First off, the link (missing the dot com) leads to a sales site to sell you videos. Secondly the word "loan" in an American mortgage term taking me further from warm and fuzzy.

Nice try but I am going to have to go with FAIL on this one.

The video however is good so I would suggest a different approach to get it out there. I assume Matrix going this for free or heavily discounted.

Good luck ;)

• Shawn Allen | Matrix Mortgage Global on 2014-01-24 10:35:41 AM

Thank you all for your feedback.. it is definitely well received.

If you notice the video count for all of you is 80 views...doesn't that tell you something?

That is part of the marketing...

Lookout for Matrix Mortgage Global everywhere you are on the web.

• Blair Anderson on 2014-01-24 12:51:23 PM

Don’t limit your social marketing to just one medium (e.g. video). Yes, this is preferred by some, but other media are still equally popular, and are not going away anytime soon, if ever! Need I remind you what we are all doing right now :-) After all, some things are better explained in writing, no? And people like to read and learn at their own pace.

Secondly, don’t limit your social marketing to one channel. At the risk of sounding self-serving, neutral sites like the one I founded,, are an excellent way to leverage your efforts, and reach a much bigger audience. There is added strength built into social networks by virture of the number of active members on the site that you cannot match on your own site. Take advantage!

Think about the opportunity to create multi-channel marketing campaigns the same way you think about your role as a mortgage broker. People come to you because you represent access to the whole market. That virtue is equally sought after online. Social sites that include everyone, is where you want to be.

• Jason on 2014-01-24 3:08:30 PM

@ Shawn

Up to 135 views now, good thing all those brokers are looking at the video. 135 views is not even close to being a good draw.

So how much dod you pay MortgageBrokerNews to run this story?

• Shawn Allen | Matrix Mortgage Global on 2014-01-24 4:40:01 PM

Once again thank you all for your comments.. they are all well received. I truly wish all of you the best for 2014 and beyond.

I am serious when I tell you this:

You can write what you want which is fine, but let me tell you.

When I tell you that

I am not joking.

You guys are so far behind with technology that its ridiculous. I'm here offering to help and this is the feedback that I get?

For the rest of the year I am taking over YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN.

Any website you go on I will be there,

You go on Youtube I will be there,

Search your own website I WILL BE THERE!!!!

You don't even have to search for me, I'M COMING TO YOU!!!

Only then you will know, but by then it will be to late as I will not be giving away the secret.

Remember this day 1/24/14

• Jessi on 2014-01-24 5:27:02 PM

No further comment.

• Ron Butler on 2014-01-25 8:35:23 AM

Darn........... lost my #1 "out of control ranting" status.

• Easy Decision on 2014-01-25 9:06:26 AM

Yes Shawn, you'll be following us everywhere's called tag marketing. For those who don't know what it is, once you click a specific link (like the one the above article was kind enough to provide) you have been "tagged". Now, wherever you go on the internet this guys marketing will follow you. It's been around for are not a pioneer. Two small problems...First, the privacy commission is beginning to crack down on this invasive form of advertising so don't be surprised if it becomes severely limited or shut down altogether. Second, almost every study I've seen on this type of marketing concludes that you do more harm than good to your brand when you over saturate and annoy people. I'm sure your video is swell and kudos for that but I won't be clicking on the link and getting tagged thank you very much! :-)

• @kiltedbroker on 2014-01-25 9:55:23 AM

Wow... looks like this Matrix Mortgage Global is a step ahead of the entire broker channel, not only do they have a 1 minute cartoon video that has busted through the 100 view mark... it looks like they can still secure mortgage financing through FirstLine (well, at least they are still displaying the FirstLine logo on their site).

Remind me when FirstLine closed again?

Cutting edge stuff ladies and gentlemen. Cutting. Edge.

If this is the face of TOTAL INTERNET DOMINATION, I need to find a new Internet. Clowns.

• Sam on 2014-01-25 10:45:55 AM

Nice work Sean...You and you team are doing an excellent job...I read the other articles about you and you are moving in the right direction...I also noticed that you are a private lender on Filogix. I will be in contact

• @kiltedbroker on 2014-01-25 10:58:38 AM

Thanks for your 2 cents Sam.

I must point out that your use of three periods (...) between 2 words without leaving a space is very similar to how Shawn Allen wrote his first comment.

I wonder how Mortgage Broker News feels about this and how it complies with the terms and conditions of posting on their site?

A word of unsolicited advice Shawn. Stop now. Just stop. Its over.

• @kiltedbroker on 2014-01-25 11:02:49 AM

And in case the "reading between the lines" on my last comment is missed.

My guess is that Sam is really Shawn trying to save a little face.

• Scott Dawson on 2014-01-25 11:32:12 AM

Wow! I just checked YouTube and the video is now up to 188 views! From my quick calculations that's at least another 7 leads! Just from this one video alone!

That's not even counting the additional leads from "TOTAL INTERNET DOMINATION" folks.

I need to know this secret sauce.

• Tim L. Walker on 2014-01-25 6:57:12 PM

This is the funniest thing I've read all day! LOL.

• Shawn Allen | Matrix Mortgage Global on 2014-01-26 7:52:19 AM

Hahaha...I love it everyone is talking about Matrix Mortgage Global

Like I said you are all in the MATRIX this is great!!!

My first lead for the day woke me up this morning. LOL

@kiltedbroker is see, the most vocal one of the bunch. You're just upset that I have 1 video on youtube that generate over 200 views in just over 1 week but you have a channel with 35 videos and don't even have 100 views for you channel. LOL

The broker in kilt... Crazy isn't it like minus 50 in Regina today?

Ok folks all jokes aside,

Let's take all this energy and put it to good use and give the broker community a good name.

I offer a challenge to all of you who commented previously.

Lets compare leads generated and closed deals for the month of January.

The company with least donates $2000 to the charity of the winners choice.

We make Mortgage Broker News the judge.

I'm throwing @kiltedbroker in the mix, anyone else interested?

Its all for charity, there are no losers here only winners.

Who is up for the challenge you guys already know how many leads I generated this month.

• Scott Dawson on 2014-01-26 8:03:55 AM

Shawn, nice of you to throw @kiltedbroker in the mix. I'm looking forward to his response on this one.

As for me? There's no way I can possibly compete with your "TOTAL INTERNET DOMINATION". I'm out.

• Shawn Allen | Matrix Mortgage Global on 2014-01-26 7:13:08 PM

Thanks for you 2 cents Jimmy The Broker

My guess is that Jimmy The Broker is really @kiltedbroker. Do you notice the name calling very similar to that of @kiltedbroker

Its put up of shut up time now.

I will send over my analytics report to Mortgage Broker News in the morning.

If we don't hear from @kiltedbroker by 10am tomorrow or if he does not submit his stats then I will just donate to my charity live at Mortgage Broker News head office on Thursday of this week and I ask that @kiltedbroker be in attendance.

I am also offering to pay for your ticket to fly you in to give my cheque to my charity on your behalf here in Toronto.

Awaiting your response Mr. Jackson Middleton aka @kiltedbroker

Please also check out my second video of my 25 video series on my channel.

Also join Matrix Mortgage Global at the ACC on Friday Feb 21st 2013 in our suite as the Raptors take on the Cleveland Cavaliers. Food and Drinks on us, come and meet our team, investors, lending partners and marketers.

Learn about our products and how we can work together as a community to help Canadians from Coast to Coast.

Lets make 2014 The Best Year Ever....

• Crystal Foti on 2014-01-27 8:36:14 AM .....I've also used videos for promotion and with over 10,000 views and cost of less than $100 to produce, this is a powerful tool. Congratulations!

• Crystal Foti on 2014-01-27 8:36:30 AM .....I've also used videos for promotion and with over 10,000 views and cost of less than $100 to produce, this is a powerful tool. Congratulations!

• Nikki on 2014-01-27 11:13:09 AM

I am loving these comments! had a bad day so far but after reading these, it has made me laugh (out loud mind you!) good read, good read. :)

• Shawn Allen | Matrix Mortgage Global on 2014-01-27 11:17:52 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed @Nikki I keep coming back for more lol @kiltedbroker has turned silent.

Where are you my brother don't keep Scott and the rest of us waiting.

• @kiltedbroker on 2014-01-27 11:50:03 AM

Shawn, I apologize for the personal attacks, they were uncalled for. I wish you all the best in your video series, however I am not interested in continuing this conversation. Consider this my last word on the matter.

• Shawn Allen | Matrix Mortgage Global on 2014-01-27 12:00:57 PM

@kiltedbroker thank you my brother apology accepted.. lets continue to work together as a community it's to small to try and pull each other down.

• Mortgage Coach Hot Leadz on 2014-01-27 1:18:53 PM

• Nikki on 2014-01-27 1:20:25 PM

LOL! @Mortgage Coach...that is great.