Study: average Canadian family spent more on taxes than food and housing combined last year

VANCOUVER - The Fraser Institute calculates that the average Canadian family paid $34,154 in taxes of all sort last year, including "hidden'' business taxes that are passed along in the price of goods and services purchased.

The Vancouver-based think-tank estimates that the average bill for income taxes collected by governments was $10,616 in 2015.

The second-biggest category was payroll and health taxes, at $7,160, followed by sales taxes at $4,973 and property taxes at $3,832.
The other categories include taxes on profits, liquor or tobacco, fuel, natural resources and import duties - totalling $7,573.

The study's authors conclude that visible and hidden taxes would have been equal to 42.4 per cent of the cash income for an average Canadian family in 2015, estimated at $80,593.

By comparison, the study estimates the average Canadian family spent $30,293 on housing, food and clothing last year - about 37.6 per cent of the family's total cash income.

The Fraser Institute uses its own "Canadian consumer tax index'' to track the tax bill paid by a family with "average income.''

"The objective is not to trace the tax experience of a particular family, but rather to plot the experience of a family that was average in each year,'' the 11-page report says.

"The 'consumer' in question is the taxpaying family, which can be thought of as consuming government services.''

• Omer Quenneville on 2016-08-23 10:20:07 AM

That still leaves about 20% of income that could be taken by new Kathleen Wynne "revenue tools". Stay tuned, they are coming. Lets make sure to vote these liberals in again.

• Joe McGuire on 2016-08-23 11:00:33 AM

Taxes are the cost of living in peace with our neighbours, having a well educated populace, having one of the world's best healthcare systems, good fire protection, good police, good roads, bridges, waterways, planning and zoning: leading to liveable communities.
    Perhaps the Fraser Institute envies Guatemala.

• Michael Mitchell on 2016-08-23 11:30:02 AM

Now for people in Ontario lets add the highest prices for hydro in North America.

• Paul Banik on 2016-08-24 9:25:27 AM

JM, in that case let's give all our money to the gov't and they will take care of the rest for us.

• Jason Nugent on 2016-08-24 10:15:27 AM

Joe, I would agree with you hold hardily if I knew the government was blowing huge amounts of that money on complete waste. I have no problem paying my fair share to live here, as long as I know my fair share is being spent well.

• Sam on 2016-08-24 12:10:49 PM

Joe, it's not about Guatemala. It's about receiving the benefits for the cost that has been paid by tax payers. You might want to look at Singapore. Canadians need to stop and think about the services we receive for the money that is spent. I know. I work for the government. I assume you don't.