Reality TV stars sentenced for fraud

A U.S. District Judge has sentenced Teresa Giudice, star of "The Real Housewives of New Jersey," and her husband, Giuseppe Giudice, to 15 and 41 months in prison for mortgage fraud, respectively.

Giuseppe, better known as Joe, was also ordered to pay $414,588 in restitution and was fined $10,000, according to Reuters. The Towaco, N.J., couple entered plea deals in March, admitting to bankruptcy fraud and conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. Joe also pleaded guilty to failure to file tax returns on income totaling nearly $1 million.

The couple, infamous for living a lavis lifestyle beyond their means, also admitted that between 2001 and 2008 they submitted fraudulent applications for mortgages and other loans, falsely claiming to have substantial salaries.

In 2001, Teresa applied for a $121,500 mortgage by falsely claiming she worked as an executive assistant and submitting fake W-2 forms and pay stubs, according to Reuters
  • Michelle on 2014-10-03 3:40:53 PM

I want to read about Canadian mortgage news, not what is going on in the US. I can watch TV for drama..
    I want REAL informative ,educational topics.
    dissapointed again

• Bill MacDonald on 2014-10-03 4:49:30 PM

I agree with Michelle. This article has no relevance to the Canadian mortgage scene.

• Gloria on 2014-10-03 5:30:24 PM

This is valuable because it is an eye opener. So many times, we see people that look like they are wealthy and we envy them but in "reality", they are living on credit and are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. I would rather have a humble, debt free life.

• kevin from kelowna on 2014-10-03 6:18:02 PM

I'm so tired of these people who seem to think we want to hear their constant negative content complaints. If you don't like the article just don't read it and certainly please don't whine about it as your opinion really has no relevance to anything! I found the article interesting and maybe Bill and Michelle should learn to appreciate others efforts a bit more and stop thinking we want to hear what they think as we really don't.

• Tammy on 2014-10-03 7:25:26 PM

I like the article. As Mortgage Broker, it just instills that we need to be diligent and watch out for fraudulent documents because you never know who may be trying to fool you.

• rhéau on 2014-10-04 9:43:28 AM

STAR OR NO STAR THE LAW IS FOR EVERYBODY IN THIS WORLD,AS A MORTGAGE BROKER MYSELF,NOBODY, BUT NOBODY IS GOING TO PLAY WITH MY INTEGRITY .I HAVE BEEN A MORTGAGE BROKER FOR 51 YEARS, AND, I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE SECURITY COMMISSION, AND I DON'T WANT ANY.

• rhéau on 2014-10-04 9:43:31 AM

• rhéau on 2014-10-04 9:43:31 AM

• Angelo on 2014-10-04 6:50:14 PM

I feel that the topic is quite relevant. Unfortunately, mortgage fraud occurs far more often than people realize. The people that commit these frauds come from every walk of life.