DLC scoring clients with playoff pool

DLC opened registration for its NHL playoff hockey pool Monday, and it is proving a useful tool for engaging clients and bringing in new customers.
“They’re so excited,” says Cindy Freiman, director of public relations and communications for Dominion Lending Centres. “Every agent who has a website gets the hockey pool, and the customer can go to that broker’s website.”
The free Canada-wide Playoff Hockey Pool (excluding Quebec) has more than $27,000 in prizes up for grabs, featuring a $10,000 grand prize, hockey jerseys, HDTVs, iPads and gift cards.
“It is something brokers can offer their client without asking them for something, or trying to sell them a product,” says Freiman. “Brokers can print off the excel sheets for their clients, and have that face-to-face contact that is so important in this industry.”
The pool was originally intended to run the entire NHL season, but due to the labour lockout, DLC had to reconfigure for only the playoffs.
The pool consists of three rounds, with the chance to win random draws throughout (regardless of individual pool standings).  After each round, you may choose all new players – and you can compare your selections with those of official spokesperson for DLC, Don Cherry.
For Toronto fans, the pool may have an even stronger pull this year.
“I’m excited that I have Leafs’ players to choose from this year,” says the Ontario-based Freiman, adding that DLC had to hold a second webinar on Monday for brokers due to the popularity of those wishing to participate in the pool. DLC employees are not eligible to win prizes, but Freiman is excited to participated just for the fun of it.
“There is an opt-out option for people who do not wish to be contacted by DLC, for those who only wish to participate in the pool,” Freiman points out.
After registering at www.dominionhockey.ca, participants will be alerted by email to make their selections between April 28 and 30 – depending on when the regular season concludes.
  • Vince Gaetano on 2013-04-17 6:22:17 AM

I applaud Dominion Lending for coming up with a creative interactive marketing idea that engages clients and potential referral sources. One question, are outside mortgage brokers allowed to participate? :)

• Jason on 2013-04-17 10:29:25 AM

Not to be a downer but if a hockey pool is "bringing in new customers" I am not sure those are the clients I would want to work with. I would rather talk to my clients about their financial well being instead of worrying about if they took player a b or c in a hockey pool.

• Cindy Freiman on 2013-04-17 1:27:01 PM

Hi Vince. Thanks for the kudos :) Yes, feel free to participate. It's open to everyone 18+ across Canada (excluding Quebec due to specific rules there governing pools/contests that we were not able to meet prior to launching this year's pool).

• Vince Gaetano on 2013-04-17 1:53:25 PM

Jason, I appreciate your perspective on a business level but differentiation is key when you are dealing with a commodity. As we see the marketplace moving towards rate sites that showcase the lowest rate, initiatives like this (I'm not a DLC agent) act as the glue that can make the client stick. Talking about the financial well being may work for you and is probably your glue that makes your clients stick. You should be proud of it. Knocking a fair marketing initiative that compliments their hockey themed marketing campaign seems like sour grapes....

• John Dearin on 2013-04-19 10:50:06 AM

I'm a DLC broker and I talk to my clients about all their interests, including mortgages. Not only does it help me get to know my client, but it also shows I am in this for more than the "deal". this contest is a bit of fun and I am hoping to be able to compare notes with my clients throughout the contest. What a way to keep in contact with a client without looking like your just after more business.

• Ron Butler on 2013-04-20 1:05:03 PM

John and Vince are right, this is just good marketing and good fun, a good idea from DLC. It's not required that all of our interactions with our clients are 100% business or financial oriented.