DLC addition hopes branding will help brokers compete with banks

The move by a 20-year industry veteran to join a network in expansion mode may further bolster its membership.

“Absolutely -- I think it’s inevitable that companies will continue to amalgamate,” Mary Gronkowski, Dominion Lending Centres’ most recent account executive hire told MortgageBrokerNews.ca. “My main roles are to recruit franchises, to grow teams, (and) training and development.”

Gronkowski hopes to foster the kind of growth that will not only help the company grow, but help the industry as a whole better compete with its rivals in the big banks.

“Our market share in the industry hasn’t grown in the last 20 years and branding will help us do that,” she said. “It worked for the banks and when companies focus on branding, it’ll help the overall industry by bringing knowledge to the consumer about what a mortgage broker can offer.”

And she’s confident that the DLC team has assembled the tools and people needed to achieve this goal.

“Branding and having the right exposure to the average consumer will help us grow and companies that focus on branding get it,” Gronkowski said. “There is innovation, movement when leadership is passionate.”

Gronkowski joined Mortgage Intelligence ten years ago and continued to sharpen her skills with MI/Invis after they amalgamated.

She eager to take on her new challenges.

“It’s such a refreshing change,” Gronkowski said. “The comeraderie at DLC is amazing: I got a ton of calls after they sent out the announcement. It was very welcoming.”

• Bill Nugent on 2013-10-02 10:45:04 AM

Mary welcome aboard. We at Neighbourhood Dominion Lending are looking forward to working with you once again as you bring a lot of knowledge, compassion for the industry and a great understanding to DLC.

Wish you all the success in the world.

• Dale L Bilton on 2013-10-02 11:39:00 AM

Also want to welcome you to DLC, Mary.
    Look forward to working with you again.
    All the Best.

• Veronica Love-Alexander on 2013-10-02 12:58:25 PM

Welcome Mary! Looking forward to working with you!

• John on 2013-10-02 2:57:49 PM

Give me a Break. She has worked in MI for 10 years and how much did she grow that company? DLC must be awarded the PR company on the year instead of Mortgage company of the year.

• Victor on 2013-10-02 3:03:24 PM

Lol. that is so funny, Mary is going to rescue the broker channel from bad ugly banks! Heads up TD, Scotia and other banks, We got Mary and Gary to protect us!

Thanks God for Gary, DLC and Now Mary! without them we would be out of business and our Broker market share would be 0.00003%.

She is there to recruit from MI/Invis and other brokerages. How does that help our broker market share? it makes me sick to see and hear DLC says that all the time and trying to pretend that they are the industry protectors. Stop the insanity.

• Michael Lloyd on 2013-10-02 4:21:57 PM

Welcome Mary, great to have you on our team!

You just made DLC even better!

A lot of venom from a few sad (anonymous) people, sorry you people are so unhappy.

• Victor Peca on 2013-10-02 4:57:28 PM

Mary...Thank you for all of your time and assistance that helped my team and I become #1 in your region finally. Your positive and caring attitude, willingness to set time aside and help agents with your advice will always allow you to be liked, looked up to and accepted by your new Company and agents. All my best to you.
    For the "Victor" next time use your real name because I bet my bottom dollar I know who you are. There isn't many Mortgage Agents/Brokers named Victor and I know most of them.

• Dan on 2013-10-03 8:56:12 AM

Welcome Mary
    From some of the comments i can see some people still do not understand branding. Yet the most successful companies in any industry are the best at branding there brand. I guess they do not even care the big banks are still doing 3 out 4 mortgages.

• Cindy Freiman on 2013-10-03 2:36:44 PM

We're so excited to have you on board, Mary! I can feel the love from reading the comments on Facebook that so many people you have worked with throughout the years have expressed :) No one can argue that DLC is making a difference in this industry and reaching more Canadian consumers than any other brokerage before us! I look forward to continuing to innovate together!

• Ron Butler on 2013-10-03 2:58:22 PM

I really don't think it is necessary to be just plain mean about something that is simply an announcement of an employment change. It's okay to me mad at DLC all day if that floats your boat but everyone has a right to change jobs without nameless, vicious attacks.

• @mortgagepro10 on 2013-10-03 3:29:53 PM

Welcome Mary! Glad to have you on Team Blue!! I have no problem seeing the best people aim talent & resources to focus on growth of broker market share.

Let the pessimists spend their time behind their screens spewing venom and negativity, they'll be out of the industry soon enough anyways. Haters gonna hate!

• Jim Rawson on 2013-10-04 8:14:20 AM

Welcome Mary! You've made the right decision to join team Blue. When I left Invis/MI in April, after managing brokers for 11 years, I did a lot of research into where to hang my hat. There are several good brokerage companies out there but when it came down to it, no one could provide me the tools and support that Dominion could. I am happy and proud to be part of this team, you're going to thrive here Mary.

• M. Robertson on 2013-10-09 10:25:12 AM

Apparently CMP magazine is now DLC magazine...

• @mortgagepro10 on 2013-10-09 10:35:16 AM

Dear M. Robertson --

Don't Cry, Apply!

• M. Robertson on 2013-10-09 10:46:14 AM

Why would I apply? So I can pay 5% royalty, plus a huge marketing fee? Sure the TV thing and Don Cherry is great, but in the end that is the ONLY thing that DLC offers that is different.

I have seen the back office, websites, etc. Been through the whole sales pitch... by belonging to DLC my costs to do business (including marketing fund) per year are $65,000.00 MORE than I am paying today - and they cannot guarantee me that I will make that up by joining the brand. $65,000.00 is not chump change - it is additional staff, vacation, or just plain old profit.

So I choose to make a smart business decision for ME which is to pay less than 1/2 that in royalty, pay a marketing fund that actually has put deals in my lap (I averaged 15 QUALIFIED leads per month this year) and be with a brand that puts me first and actively helps me to grow my business. The only thing I wish my brand would do better is to be more public, but then they don’t sell to mortgage brokers, they sell to business people – so I kinda get it.

• TO Broker on 2013-10-09 5:02:05 PM

Hey Jim Rawson,
    I like you, have known you for over 10 years, and respect you, but the comments you make, completely contradict what you said as an Invis RSM.

We all have the right to change companies, follow our dreams, etc, but don't make statements that contradict statements you made a year ago.
    And when you made those statements over the years regarding DLC, you said it came from having a true understanding of their program. DLC has made no changes, so why is DLC's program so much better now? Because that is where you hang your hat now?

• TO Broker on 2013-10-09 5:02:08 PM

Hey Jim Rawson,

• Jim Rawson on 2013-10-10 1:00:56 PM

Hey T.O. Broker, thanks for liking me and respecting me, I'd probably like and respect you as well if I knew who you were! I've reread what I said about Mary Gronkowski joining Dominion and I stand by what is written there. As Sales Leader for Ontario for Invis/MI I assumed that I did have a good understanding of what the Dominion Lending program was, it was not until Angela Coyne and I were invited to Dominion's Owners University in Vancouver that we really got a look at all they have to offer, and honestly we were both blown away. Mary G, is have the same reaction now that she is having a look for herself. Funny, we all know the old saying about assuming, in this case it certainly rings true.

• Leon Tucciarone on 2013-10-10 8:56:14 PM

Congrats to Mary! Regardless of company she is a great person and puts in a full effort.....moving on to new opportunities and challenges.

Couldn't agree more with Ron.....this is not the venue to bash one company or another. This is what is wrong with our industry,...we are one family that should be working towards a common goal and any news in the media that can put attention to our industry should be welcomed.

Once again, congratulations Mary !

• Jim Rawson on 2013-10-11 9:07:39 AM

I couldn't agree more Leon!

• M. Robertson on 2013-10-22 9:41:33 AM

Leon... if we are all one family then why does the DLC executive spend so much time bashing the other brands in Canada? You reap what you sow and certain DLC executives have spent a lot of time and energy bashing the other brands. Just ask any franchise owner of one of the competing brands what sitting through a sales pitch is like from DLC...
    several rumours that brands are closing their doors, etc have started from the mouths of DLC head office...

If we are all one family, then is DLC the bully brother?

• M. Robertson on 2013-10-22 9:41:57 AM

If we are all one family, then is DLC the bully brother?

• Sean Binkley, Your Home Team @ DLC Alliance on 2013-10-22 2:34:15 PM

Mary, like I said in my email, congrats! To those that post without their full names, I guess that says it all. Being almost 3 years at DLC as a Broker/Owner, I have never heard one negative comment by Gary or anyone at DLC about other companies. I respect MI and their model, I love DLC's model - to each his own. Now, in the famous words of Rodney King, can't we all just get along. Once that happens, we can work much better together on getting a larger piece of the mortgage pie.

Happy selling my professional friends!