Centum reaches out to O'Leary

• feed
  • Google+

At least one broker network has extended an olive branch to Kevin O’Leary, suggesting the Dragon's team has now accepted that overture of goodwill.

“It’s important that when a new player enters the industry, we engage in a meaningful discussion to see if a partnership now or in the future is viable,” Paul Therien, director of business development for Centum told MortgageBrokerNews.ca. “That’s what we have done with O’Leary Mortgages.”

The industry leader put in a call to O’Leary’s team Wednesday, resulting in cordial exchange with an exec focused on developing the mortgage venture.

Therien's move runs counter to the sentiment of many brokers, who welcomed news that the controversial venture capitalist had withdrawn from a speaking engagement for the upcoming CAAMP conference.

Earlier this week, Dominion Lending pulled its sponsorship of the O’Leary presentation, pointing to his mortgage business plans that could effectively see him act as a lender focused on a direct-to-consumer model.

He would, however, use a mortgage servicing company from within that broker industry.

Those well-developed plans suggest O’Leary erred in agreeing to take the speaking engagement.

"Kevin O'Leary was contracted last spring to speak at Mortgage Forum 2012 and recently announced the launch of O'Leary Mortgages," writes CAAMP in a release issued late Tuesday and following a MortgageBrokerNews.ca article outlining the depth of broker opposition to his planned appearance."It has been CAAMP's long standing policy that industry participants not be featured as keynote speakers. Kevin O'Leary is mindful of the situation and has withdrawn from participating in Mortgage Forum 2012."

Therien is hoping, at least, to keep the lines of communication open between Centum and O'Leary.

• Betty Talbot on 23/11/2012 5:43:15 AM

Thumbs up to Paul Therien

• BC Broker on 23/11/2012 6:26:22 AM

This is a true example of leadership on Paul Therien's part. Someone who thinks beyond the now, beyond emotion, and considers the future of our industry. Well done Paul, and thanks for setting such a fine example for us all.

• Jennifer on 23/11/2012 7:20:49 AM

What a great leader! Makes me glad that I joined Centum

• Kevin on 23/11/2012 8:06:01 AM

Paul I am not a member of Centum, but after this display of leadership you certainly have shown that it is an option I should seriously consider.

• Don - BC on 23/11/2012 8:10:35 AM

Centum ownership certainly knew what they were doing when they hired Mr. Therien. Someone that I knew when he was at FirstLine and respected then. His actions here only serve to deepen my respect for him. Thanks Paul.

• Matt R C1 on 23/11/2012 1:42:50 PM

Well done Paul

• Thong Tran- Centum Inhouse Financial Corp-Toronto on 24/11/2012 2:11:03 AM

Dear Paul and fellows brokers.
    Yes, at least from the fury sound of Kevin's CAAMP we can get the calm and cordial discussion to find a better way to share and to build by this community of hard working Professional Mortgage Brokers. I hope that Kevin will have some experiences about the true case study of capitalist venture. THe Mortgage brokers are working very hard to assist their clients to maintain and buildup theirs households, home sweet home.
    All of us cannot help them get a pile of cash or doing something like so-called capital venture. Have a great weekend. Hello Paul, many kudos to your suggestions, of course, I am very proud of your performance.

• Tyler P on 24/11/2012 3:22:00 AM

The light shines on the mortgage industry this week in Vancouver.
    Let's celebrate together and demonstrate to everyone the great service that mortgage brokers provide to the mortgage consumer.

I hereby declare that the petty bickering is over!

See you in Vancouver.

• Paul Therien - CENTUM on 24/11/2012 6:07:42 AM

Dear Hey, It might very well be an option, but perhaps one that I might consider at a CENTUM exlusive event. It is not about the money.

• Bill Jones on 24/11/2012 12:02:51 PM

Hey "Hey" - it is also interesting that Paul states his last name and company - you on the other hand are, well, just "Hey" - untraceable - Unless "Hey" is on your name-tag at CAAMP?

• Paul Therien - CENTUM on 28/11/2012 5:39:33 AM

Hey - You should probably read my other comments before you fire from the hip. I clearly stated that I was not questioning the decision of Dominion to pull their sponsorship, it is their decision to make, and I am sure that it was a well thought out decision. They did what was best for their brand and network, no different than what we at CENTUM do, or any other brand or business does.

What I stated was that the highly negative commentary from some brokers, and the attacks on an individual’s character were not a good representation of the professionalism of the mortgage broker community. It certainly is not representative of the CENTUM network.

I would be happy to engage you in a discussion about this - If of course I knew who you were. Like most people I have a preference for engaging people in discussion when they are open about their identity. If you don't want the world to have your name, feel free to email me directly paul_therien@centum.ca

• Hey on 24/11/2012 7:12:05 AM

I can understand that Paul...the only problem is that I have attended CAAMP's National Event for the last 10 years and I wonder if you have sponsored a lunch, speaker or breakout session. Also, interesting that DLC would make a $50,000 investment into Kevin O'Leary so that everyone from every company can benefit...yet you would hold an exclusive event.

• Hey on 24/11/2012 5:45:36 AM

Hey Paul, put your money where your mouth is and fork out the $50,000 to have him speak... Are you going to pay the $50,000?