CAAMP director answers criticism of board makeup

One of only a handful of active brokers on CAAMP’s board of directors is chalking up the limited representation to name recognition challenges and brokers themselves – often reluctance to take time away from their businesses.

“I absolutely believe it is important to have more successful practicing brokers willing to volunteer their time,” Scott Ede, a director at large representing the Alberta/NWT region, told MortgageBrokerNews.ca. “I think what has kept the broker representation on CAAMP’s board what it is, is that individual brokers aren’t generally as well-known as candidates that are lenders or are out there recruiting, so they’re disadvantaged. Another is that to serve on the board, brokers have to be willing to give away our time, time that many feel might take away from their businesses – it means they have to put a lot of safety nets in place to protect their businesses.”

The comments follow last week’s release of CAAMP election results, with two practicing brokers among six new directors for the board for 15. It brings to five the number of directors who are currently mortgage professionals working in the field. Lenders, insurers and broker network execs make up the balance, something that has attracted broker criticism.

“If over 60 per cent of the membership of CAAMP are active mortgage brokers and agents, why don't we change the constitution of CAAMP to require the at least 50 per cent of the board be composed of active brokers?” wrote Ron Butler, commenting on a MortgageBrokerNews.ca article reporting the election results.

Brokers across the country have voiced similar concerns, arguing CAAMP decision-making is reflected in the representation of mortgage professionals on its board.

“Too bad we don't have more mortgage agents/brokers represented,” said Stephen Codsi. “I fully agree with Ron Butler, what is going on?”

Changing those numbers will take more brokers willing to make the commitment he did in 2010, said Ede, a Calgary broker with Mortgage Alliance. He now heads into his second one-year term, having tied with former Invis regional manager Indra Bains Ladha in last year’s race to represent Alberta.

“I think that for the unification of CAAMP, we need to have the entire industry represented at the board, with more practicing brokers,” he told MortgageBrokerNews.ca, urging brokers to take that leap.

• John Hamilton on 2011-10-25 3:50:23 AM

Or, maybe the answer is the majority of the brokerage community is tired of the whole subject matter regarding the waste of time this association is, and we have simply gone into ignore mode?

• Ron Butler on 2011-10-25 4:12:49 AM

I think the truth is that a person who is the Vice President of a broker network or an executive at a large lender has an automatic 100 or 250 votes from co-workers or network brokers and also has the staff to to compose and email out campaign videos creating a huge advantage over an individual broker who works with or is known by a couple of dozen other brokers.

These are simple facts that prevent many brokers from even bothering to run.

I believe many brokers would throw their hats in the ring if 50% broker content was constitutionaly mandated on the the CAAMP board.

Then we as brokers would have the votes on the Board to have our voices heard and real change would come to CAAMP.

I don't think it makes sense for brokers and agents to give up on the richest and most established industry trade association.

The best approach is to push the organization to change and that will only happen when brokers have the votes on the board.

I think it makes sense to find a way to have CAAMP better represent the bulk of it's paying membership

• Dean Koeller on 2011-10-25 4:13:49 AM

As a CAAMP member I would definitely like to see my association represented by mortgage brokers, but would also like to see them representing our industry and supporting us on issues that matter to us. It is essential that as a national association they are representing us on national issues and supporting industry players (not competing with provincial associations) to make a difference to us in our communities.

• Another Broker on 2011-10-25 4:36:09 AM

I'm with John. I have yet to see any benefit in joining this organization that promotes such a useless designation for next to nil experience, professionalism and ethics. When originally requesting information regarding insurance and other questions I was told I would have to join first before getting the inforamtion I needed to consider joining. Nice one guys. Everybody should simply join their provincial associations and get rid of CAAMP once and for all.

• Scott Ede on 2011-10-25 8:08:49 AM

As a Director of CAAMP....I truly understand the opinions of those that believe CAAMP has no voice for them....in a retracting broker channel market, going forward we will need a unified national voice to be heard by the larger bank market share. Currently I believe we are very much on the path to replicate the Australian Broker industry and have been for years....one of the first mandates they had to fight back was to create a national voice...they are now fighting back to try and get non-bank owned market share. I am all for the provincial bodies as they are necessary regionally in such a vast country....I also believe we need a stronger broker voice within Canada to invoke changes at a parlimentary level. More working Brokers on the board will ensure our voice very much gets heard and understood. I encourage you all to step forward and help me with making these changes!

As Ron Butler points out it is difficult when running for a Directorship within CAAMP to get noticed when we are competing with those that are paid to go out and seek brokers business and support on a day in day out basis....when trying to get elected to a seat as a Broker we are already behind the 8 ball vote wise.

I encourage each of you that have taken the time to comment on this issue to continue to comment going forward and ask for change with your directors...an run next year when you have a vacant seat in your region.

I very much commend all those on the board currently and in the past....whether lenders insurers of brokers these are people that are sincere and passionate.

The only change you can make other than saying it is a waste of time is to become a director and invoke the change.

• Jeremy on 2011-10-25 9:53:35 AM

I agree with Another Broker. There is little to NO value in CAAMP. Instead of complaining, I am choosing to vote with my wallet and will be giving up my CAAMP membership next year. We all complain about CAAMP yet everyone continues to pay their dues, enough with the madness!

RIP CAAMP...

• Alta Broker on 2011-10-25 2:28:49 PM

Over 80% of the caamp membership are licensed mortgage brokers. The board is
    Decided by jim and michael. What are they paid anyway?
    The payroll is huge.