Brokers weigh in on issues facing lenders

by |
Hundreds of brokers across Canada have already participated in CMP’s Brokers on Lenders poll and have aired their concerns currently facing lenders in today’s industry, including frustrations with insurers.

“The insurer is becoming a challenge these days,” one poll participant wrote. “Many times the lender would approve a deal just to have the insurer overturn it.”

Brokers are also asked which issues they think will have the most impact on the broker/lender relationship in the next 6-12 months. So far, several say the move to efficiency ratios and higher volume requirements.

Have you had your say yet? Click here to fill out the survey.

Overall, the survey is viewed as barometer of broker satisfaction with their most important partners. The CMP research is also the most straightforward and influential message mortgage brokers will send to their lenders, say industry professionals.

 That’s all the more so with increasing competition from the banks and a number of credit unions across the country. The survey and comments aim to offer valuable advice on how lenders can better position the industry.

Last year’s sixth annual Brokers on Lenders survey was strong, with nearly 400 mortgage professionals taking the time to answer questions and provide candid feedback on lenders in 11 categories: approval/ loan turnaround times, underwriter support, BDM support, broker support, transparency of commission structure, IT and electronic/technology, interest rates, product range, overall service level to brokers, satisfaction index on overall credit policy, and overall lender performance. This year’s survey will once again include a supplementary optional section, specifically tracking the types of deals brokers are arranging and, more importantly, who those deals are going to and why.
  • A Broker on 2014-07-22 6:13:06 PM

    Volume requirements. Does anyone get the feeling the handful of large brokerages across the country are in with the banks to get rid of the smaller brokers. From the confidential conversations I've had with lenders in the past they bend over backwards for the large brokerages. Fairly obvious I would say?

  • Ron Butler on 2014-07-23 10:55:25 AM

    @ A Broker........... in many industries (not all) 25% of the players can represent 75% of the business. Whether you are IBM or Caterpillar or Merrill Lynch or our lenders; chances are you tailor your approach to cultivate the 25% who supply the 75%. That does NOT mean you want to get rid of the small broker after all those small companies can become big companies. I am totally certain lenders and big brokerage don't have meetings in the basement of Toronto Club and work on methods to shut down small brokerages. I think it is fair to say that in life and in business: size matters.

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Name (required)
Comment (required)
By submitting, I agree to the Terms & Conditions