Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 06 Jul 2010, 11:06 AM Agree 0
CMP's Top 50 Brokers list, ranked by total volume funded in 2009, will be revealed in our upcoming July 5.7 issue.
  • Jim | 07 Jul 2010, 03:31 AM Agree 0
    How about a Top 10 per Province? Or, Top 50 by deals (not volume)? These thinks are always weighted towards brokers in central and western Canada.
  • AB Guy | 07 Jul 2010, 03:41 AM Agree 0
    Since a few brokerages (MI, MA, INVIS) made requests to brokers to completely to opt out of the 'stated volume' contest, it will be interesting to see not only who is in the Top 50, but what their reported volumes are. Let the brokerages, if they choose, to provide the real numbers for their top folks. Further, many of the true top producers also refrain from the survey because it puts a target on them and places undue competition on their business.
  • karen gibbard | 07 Jul 2010, 03:47 AM Agree 0
    There has been some speculation and rumours in the brokerage industry that proper authentication of the funding numbers for the Top 50 Brokers in Canada has not been done. Again, this is just 'talk' amongst the brokers
  • karen | 07 Jul 2010, 03:48 AM Agree 0
    There has been some speculation and rumours in the brokerage industry that proper authentication of the funding numbers for the Top 50 Brokers in Canada has not been done. Again, this is just 'talk' amongst the brokers
  • who cares | 07 Jul 2010, 04:19 AM Agree 0
    most of the numbers will highly inflated by most, i dont see the point in the whole exercise, we should be focused on quality, integrity, strategy that benefits clients and giving our cient the best experience possible. Also brokers that have teams submit the total team volume not their personal volume.
  • Haha | 07 Jul 2010, 04:23 AM Agree 0
    This survey is a joke. If CMP wanted to do a true Top 50 survey they could simply try and gather true numbers from Filogix or Marlborough Sterling . Do you think the NHL scoring leader is determined by players emailing the NHL office and stating how many points they scored during the year. Until CMP changes how they determine this award along with some of their other popularity contests the actual brokers who have been around and know the business will continue to laugh till the cows come home !!!!
  • not that thirsty | 07 Jul 2010, 07:23 AM Agree 0
    With all due respect to the reported TOP 50...I'm sure there are some great brokers in that group.... But I have to say the top 50 brokers along with all the other awards from CMP are just a complete joke... i totally agree with some of the previous comments... let's get serious folks.... there are so many categories of awards in this magazine, it's ridiculous... the magazine is trying to survive on advertising revenue.. anyone can get a feature article on themselves if they paid an advertising fee... let's get rid of this awful magazine, the useless awards and focus on building a stronger Broker industry... both provincially and federally... that's what i'm interested in.. how about real issues like HST, regulatory compliance, lender bullying for minimum volumes when they say all they want is quality of business, not quantity...the encouragement of pooling of business by lenders...where's the logic in that?... banks competing for the same business... reduced access to bank products.. how about another heloc product from some more lenders... etc... this is what i want to read about... So don't drink the CMP kool-aid... i for one will never be that thirsty..
  • CMP Should stop this | 07 Jul 2010, 07:41 AM Agree 0
    The CMP top 50 is unqualified and is the biggest Joke in the Industry. Do the awards properly or not at all. You can not have stated/inflated volume. Get the numbers from the lenders and application providers and then post a true Top 50.
  • George | 07 Jul 2010, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    Check your fact's before you make one-off comments. To make the list, they ask for your top 5 lenders along with the lender info to verify your submission. They do call the lenders - my BDM's have confirmed that they do call. so, just because you do not make the top 50 list doesn't mean you should slam the process. Maybe if you worked harder you might make the list next year.
  • Editor, CMP Magazine | 07 Jul 2010, 11:47 PM Agree 0
    The Top 50 is based on submissions received.
  • re not a joke | 08 Jul 2010, 01:58 AM Agree 0
    maybe you should become a broker and leave your cushy job, btw (for you buddy means "by the way") its not how much you make its how much you keep...look at most professional athletes, make lots while playing and retire broke.

• Re not a joke | 12 Jul 2010, 01:08 AM Agree 0
    I am a broker pal. And a top one at that. I did have a cushy Corp job make $250'000 a year. However, I'm a broker now making 4 times that amount.
    If you need some lessons on becoming successful let me know - i'll get my 7yr old to teach you
  • Re not a joke | 12 Jul 2010, 01:09 AM Agree 0
    I am a broker pal. And a top one at that. I did have a cushy Corp job make $250'000 a year. However, I'm a broker now making 4 times that amount.
    If you need some lessons on becoming successful let me know - i'll get my 7yr old to teach you
  • JJ | 12 Jul 2010, 09:45 PM Agree 0
    I'm finding this humorous that everyone is slamming both the magazine and the top 50 process so much but are still taking their time to post on here how angry they are and how horrible it is. It seems like a lot of jealously and is laughable that people who "don't care" seem to be caring a whole lot about something that they did not achieve. If you were one of the top brokers in Canada you would have submitted but since you are not, you find the need to slam everyone. At the end of the day most of these 50 are successful by design and not by good luck, which is more than I can say for most of you.... and is it really a bad thing to have a team of people that are able to feed of each other's strengths and weaknesses or should we be stuck in the 90's and have you answering your phone at 10:00 pm at night and always trying to "snag the next deal"? I quite like reading this magazine; it offers a lot more than most of the industry publications which have become stale with lender content. Having an independent magazine, without affiliation allows for unbiased content.
  • Me | 13 Jul 2010, 03:56 AM Agree 0
    I have to agree with the comments generally but this year the top ten numbers are verfied with certainty. They are auditing the top five lenders for all these brokers and confirming people don't have other people's deals submitted under their key. The brokers who put other agents deals under their keys clearly need to back out the deals that they didn't personally produce. While there are shortfalls in every award - every FirstLine does their awards levels with brokers qualifying for awards when they clearly submit other people's deals under their keys and sandbag the numbers. As long as these are the brokers own deals and no one on their team is responsible for the rain making it makes sense but the legitimacy of awards needs to get back to where is once was.

What ever happned to getting status with lenders, and awards from the companies based on personal production. We now have terrible brokers who can't even make a living with status and lender and making their parent broker look like a bigger producer than they are.

We all want to see things as legitimate as we can, and any magazine that is helping our education, awareness and generally committed to the industry is clearly a good thing.
  • Re not a joke | 15 Jul 2010, 03:20 AM Agree 0
    Sorry for my comments, didnt know that you were so successful and made so much money, I am really impressed. You will definitely be in top 50 with that much income, probably the top 10 or top 5 even! Way to go. You also pegged me, i need to be better at what i do and try to be more successful and achieve what you have. Thanks for your wisdom and transparency with your success and income.
  • who cares | 15 Jul 2010, 03:40 AM Agree 0
    What about the broker who is very successful but does not want to reveal their volume? Maybe they are conservative and want to keep their volume info to themselves. There are lots of very successful brokers out there that do tremendous volume but fly under the radar.
  • watch Scream 4 online | 25 Mar 2011, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    Hi there,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at www.canadianmortgageprofessional.com.

Can I use part of the information from your post above if I give a backlink back to this site?

Thanks,
    Harry
  • watch Rio online | 26 Mar 2011, 08:57 AM Agree 0
    Greetings,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at www.canadianmortgageprofessional.com have a mirror or another source?

Cheers,
    Peter
  • watch Rio online | 05 Apr 2011, 01:36 AM Agree 0
    Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at www.canadianmortgageprofessional.com have a mirror or another source?

Cheers,
    Jack
Post a reply