Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 21 Mar 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
A little-known company called Real Matters Corp. is poised to be one of Canada’s next technology companies to go public and it could change the mortgage industry
  • LanceH | 21 Mar 2016, 10:40 AM Agree 0
    So essentially, they're building a database like that of CMHC. The flaw in all this, is that while appraisals look at how well endowed a house is such systems are only looking at the end value, where one finds a huge range, similar to a Purview search and doesn't really tell you much in the end. There's just too many variables from one house to the next for technology alone to be very accurate.
  • Philip N. Cassis | 21 Mar 2016, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    I wonder about the condition of the house. Is a house inspector going to be part of the computer appraisal, instead of the appraiser viewing the house. There was a time when windshield inspections meant something. I expect that time of occupancy of the house or age will determine if it will be as easy as it sounds.
  • Mortgage Guy Geoff | 27 Mar 2016, 02:46 PM Agree 0
    I can't remember the last time an appraiser came back with a value that was consistent with the current value of the property in the ACTUAL resale market. Therefore it would seem that "garbage in garbage out" comes to mind wrt this new service.
  • M Cooper | 27 Mar 2016, 07:05 PM Agree 0
    Why don't lenders do their own inspection/appraisals like they all did many years ago.
  • Ron Butler | 28 Mar 2016, 05:45 PM Agree 0
    I think the real point is to congratulate Jason Smith. Based on what I have read in this article and the comments of other industry execs over the years, virtually no one in the whole property valuation space is better at raising private investment money than Jason.
Post a reply