Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 10 Jun 2011, 09:11 AM Agree 0
The number of Vancouver brokers taking a second job outside the mortgage biz is on the upswing, say seasoned professionals, as the competition for a falling number of originations heats up and newbies find themselves without the established portfolios needed to grow referrals and refinances.
  • Greg Williamson | 14 Jun 2011, 04:12 AM Agree 0
    I think although I am sure this is true, it doesn't have to happen. I think many newer mortgage professionals are "flying blind" and/or the training and direction available to them is "Get Back to Basics" or traditional sales and marketing strategies, both of which i think are a failing strategy for new brokers and seasoned ones for that matter. The answer is to evolve into "New World" sales and marketing techniques. That is what every other industry is doing, I think it is time the mortgage industry did the same.
  • Ilona Bronson | 14 Jun 2011, 04:50 AM Agree 0
    I would have to agree with the above statement with regards to training and direction. There is a "New World" out there and we all need to adapt our skills. I don't believe that a broker should have a part-time job. This is a career with a great deal of responsibility on the part of all of us to keep this business professional. It has been a long uphill battle to gain the sometimes little respect given us as an industry. Let's not stand by and allow our young/new brokers fall into the "guess i'll go pump gas" syndrome. We, as owners and team leaders must take responsibility to keep our newer brokers interested and committed. If we don't do that then we are not committed to the professionalism of our industry.
  • Gary Snider | 15 Jun 2011, 03:13 AM Agree 0
    Im 20 years at this game... in a time when it wasn't cool to be a broker. To many newbie's thinking life is easy as a broker are now finding themselves in a squeeze with unrealistic projections and smoking hopium. The real correction is roosting on our door step. The toughest year yet is ahead of us...A part time broker does the industry no good just as a part time "any career" does an industry no good. Good time to toughen the rules and purge the industry hard.
Post a reply