Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 26 Aug 2011, 11:00 AM Agree 0
It’s the ultimate in kicking a stereotype to the curb or knocking it on its keister, with two fighters from the world of mixed marital arts launching a mortgage brokerage, focused on winning deals, not championship belts.
  • Peter Johnson | 27 Aug 2011, 03:05 AM Agree 0
    All the best to these fierce competitors! If they think the Octagon is tough...
  • AB Mortgage Broker | 27 Aug 2011, 03:09 AM Agree 0
    Interesting... We are going to fight our way to the top, haha. Time for the mortgage industry to raise the bar! This should be a profession with barriers to entry.

On with the mortgage revolution!!
  • Joe | 27 Aug 2011, 03:11 AM Agree 0
    Now I've heard it all. Hey, why doesn't Hulk Hogan start a mortgage shop as well. What a joke.
  • Bad Record | 27 Aug 2011, 03:22 AM Agree 0
    Wojtek Kaszowski has a 0-7L Record according to Sherdog. Far from a MMA Champ.
  • Jim Broker | 27 Aug 2011, 03:25 AM Agree 0
    Are you kidding me??? What is our business comming to. First there is the ad that DLC is running with Don Cherry ...now there is a mortgage brokerage to use Mixed Martial Arts as strategy to get business. What has our industry come to. Is everyone thinking they can be mortgage professionals using celeberities to gain business. People stop this madness and focuss on triaing agents/brokers to be professional as this business should be. Do you actually see other organizations such as real estate, accounting, or law using sports or any other form of celeberty to gain business and enhance our professional status. We are in the business of mortgages and financial education so try to keep it at that.
  • Happy for You, but.... | 27 Aug 2011, 03:38 AM Agree 0
    Please don't link our industry to the image of fighting. Does not sit well with me when the industry already has an image problem. One can also argue about Don Cherry, that rock'em sock'em image he now touts the mortgage consumers with. Fine, he is a celeb with wide general audience appeal and people buy that. UFC does not have wide general audience appeal and is a turn off for some.
  • Alberta broker | 27 Aug 2011, 03:44 AM Agree 0
    Wow!!! Gold & Silver Brokers, Now MMA Fighters!! What's Next ?? Bozo the Clown Brokers!!!!
  • Bob Woods | 27 Aug 2011, 03:55 AM Agree 0
    I guess they have a drawing card or a market niche that I don't service, along with Harold the Jewellery buyer welcome...
  • Jeff Smith, Broker | 27 Aug 2011, 04:08 AM Agree 0
    Great!!!! Another group that really makes a splash into our industry. I hope these guys fail, but chances are these quirky ideas bring in a ton of deals from their fans! Damn Im staring to hate this industry.
  • Failure to Regulate | 27 Aug 2011, 04:19 AM Agree 0
    I'm very disappointed in CAAMP and the provincial regulators. This is a collective failure of our industry, leadership and setting a strategic goal of where the industry should be. That starts with developing a set of professional standards. Yeah we have the ethics course and "professionalism" spiel blah blah. But where is the protector of our industry brand. They are more interest in collecting member fees than looking out for the best interest of the industry.
  • Alex Broker | 27 Aug 2011, 05:04 AM Agree 0
    Wow, so we just found the Jersey Shore of Mortgages, and watch it strike rich!!!
  • Cal Johnson - CEO and MMA fan | 27 Aug 2011, 05:48 AM Agree 0
    I'm not in the industry, but do follow the MMA and UFC closely. I'm not sure why there is so much negativity with respect to these guys? My understanding is that one must take the required education to become an agent and even more to get a full brokers licence. Seems these 2 have done just that. Does one assume that once a professional MMA athelete retires from the sport that they should just disappear, never to re-surface!?!? Hats off to these guys for living after fighting and good luck!! Looks like the rest are afraid of a little competition!
  • Edmonton Mortgage Broker | 27 Aug 2011, 06:00 AM Agree 0
    I have never commented on one of CMP’s stories before but I can’t help myself this time. When I read this article this morning I rolled my eyes, just what this industry needs...another gimmick! How ridiculous and unprofessional and not to mention embarrassing for all the brokers out there who treat this as a serious profession. Something needs to be done about the serious lack of professionalism in this industry, there needs to be greater barriers to entry and a huge price increase in the cost of the licensing course as well as proof that you have some type of professional/financial background before you can get started in this business.
  • Ottawa Broker | 27 Aug 2011, 06:10 AM Agree 0
    Don't know what to say...this (we, our industry) is a joke. What goes through some peoples minds, where does beating the crap out of a guy until he is bloody and unconscious mix with marketing a professional financial business? But our regulatory body in ON felt it necessary to attack a broker becuase he had the word "bank fighter" in his brokerage name. You can beat the shit out of someone, be a loan shark buying jewellery from people in financial difficulty, these are ok, but beware if you use the word "bank". As I said, what a joke. Where do we go from here?
  • Bottom of the barrel | 27 Aug 2011, 07:16 AM Agree 0
    This is the most shameful story of the mortgage industry. Gold buyers, failed wrestlers and what's next? Are they even licenced? Did anyone check? What costumes are they going to wear in their ads?
  • Reponse to Cal | 27 Aug 2011, 09:37 AM Agree 0
    Cal, you know nothing about our industry. That is precisely the problem; our industry sets such low entry standards that everybody and anybody can just become a mortgage broker. The licensing course "required education" is a joke. It teaches one nothing about giving financial or mortgage advice. For those that've toil and sweat in the industry for 20+ years and really want to protect and grow a professional services industry brand (on par with accountants, lawyer, engineers, etc.) just continually sees the saturation and dilution of the whole industry brand with these types of quick/catchy schemes. Kudos to you buddies for passing the course and our industry associations for taking their membership fees which is all their interested in. This will never be tolerated in the legal industry. If these guys have retired from the sport and want to do this now, I have no problem. Fact is they are continuing to fight and using our weak industry association to take advantage of our brand as their punching bag. we can't have that image associated/practice/condone openly by member of the industry.
  • Greg Williamson 180degreesacademy.com | 27 Aug 2011, 10:44 AM Agree 0
    Hmmm lots of comments about the lack of professionalism, etc. In our industry, although that may be true for some of you, for the life of me I do not why these guys are taking so much wrath? What happen to good old Canadian Entrepreneurial spirit. Why do some have to hold others back? Just because they come from MMA why would we assume they are not qualified? How many other brokers do you know that capitalize or market to their former industry or associations? Why would we hate in a couple of our colleagues because they are marketing to their fan base or their network? Time for is to work together. I think our fight is not with two young guys trying to make it in our business. I think our fight is with the banks and the road reps.

Let's be awesome together.
  • Your BDM! | 27 Aug 2011, 11:29 AM Agree 0
    OK, I’ve seen enough, what are all of you missing? I’ve been in the mortgage industry for over 20 years both as an agent and now a BDM for a company that you all know…. Your all missing the point here-its not 2 fighters that stared a mortgage brokerage company, it’s a group of seasoned agents and brokers with many years of experience in the industry that have teamed up and started the new “MMA Mortgage” team. Get past the fighters on the face, its marketing and its working!! Here’s a group of professionals who are thinking outside the box. The broker community is losing ground to the banks at an alarming rate, and the push is getting stronger – so everybody can wait and get gobbled up, or do something about it. The brokerage community has a bad rap you all say, take a fresh approach – get out of your stuffy suits and have some fun while helping your clients. Trust me, I’ve seen this team in action, IT WORKS!!!
  • George | 27 Aug 2011, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    First off I would like to congratulate my two friends Wojtek and Carlos. I have known them for years and they are not your stereotypical dumb jocks! Carlos has an extensive academic background and an amazing resume so far. Wojtek is not a slouch himself in University he was on the Dean’s list many times, a Masters Degree in Business and a successful entrepreneur. I know that the last few years they have been working on learning the business properly, and I’m sure that they will succeed as they have in all their endeavors.
    I myself am a fighter and I love how the only people upset at this are the “industry” folk. I guess it would be expected as they are occupying your space and you feel threatened so you ignorantly call it a black eye on your industry, where as your comments are hurting your industry due to your ignorance. But I myself would rather do business with people who I can see their roots, where they came from and what they are about. These guys have been in the public eye for years, so I know that what they say and do is truthful and honest. It’s what martial arts is about, just ask any of my students or any parent that has their children in martial arts.
    RESPECT! TRUTH! HONOR!
    If the financial world had people with roots built on those words, lawyers would not be in business.
    I say bravo gentlemen you will continue to have my respect, and you have now earned my mortgage.

• Good luck to you boys!!! | 27 Aug 2011, 01:00 PM Agree 0
    It seems that the hostility towards these young group of entreprenuels comes fromlack of education from people that are commenting and speculating without a bit of research of proof. I think that these guys are exactly what our industry needs; a fresh new approach to gain the trust of clients that are floking towards BANKS. Kep on making good strides boys!!!
  • Sam Sarcasm | 27 Aug 2011, 10:44 PM Agree 0
    Do these guys own the word "Fighter" or will I get sued if I use it?
  • Your friendly Underwriter | 28 Aug 2011, 07:09 AM Agree 0
    I have dealt with this team for over 2 years and they are awesome, They have done very well with our company and I'm sure that they will only get bigger and better. I don't understand all the hate, sarcasm, and bashing, they do their work and do it with pride. I love seeing new ideas enter our industry, its what keeps us earning a check. I think the attitude our industry should take is "WOW" these guys took the agent course, then the broker course that alone is a huge commitment. Then they come out and educate consumers on why use brokers, and the welcome they get is a good ole gang bashing. Very sad......all of the negative attitude out their will make the banks stronger. Good Luck guys!
  • Sabrina & Salvatore | 29 Aug 2011, 08:00 AM Agree 0
    Wishing these guys the Best of Luck...sounds like a COOL idea!!! Once my mortgage renews....guess who I'm using :) Good Luck with everything guys!!!
  • Ron Butler | 30 Aug 2011, 04:18 AM Agree 0
    Thanks Greg for adding a voice of sanity. It's just marketing, no different than an accountant getting his mortgage agent's registration and going after his old clients and related groups.

I don't think we heard all this howling when Doug Gilmour was with Monster Mortgage. Lord knows Monster has done very well and are true professionals. So let's hold our fire on this one.
Post a reply