Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 21 Oct 2014, 11:23 AM Agree 0
One of the leading mortgage broker course providers announced Tuesday it is launching the non-profit Association of Mortgage Investment Professionals (AMIPROS) with the goal of providing higher standards and education to the private lending industry.
  • Private Lender Inc. | 21 Oct 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    I knew this will only take matter of time for some freeloaders to create a new "association" to create themselves a cushy well paying position and regulate the living hell out of everybody, just like the communists do in some countries. Consumers have protections by lawyers advising them in the form of independent legal advise and do not need yet another bunch of idiots to "protect" them from industry professionals. You guys should get a job, one where you do not live on others back by charging them membership fees and other fees. Aren't there enough associations yet? I think too many and I think, besides they have the power to give you a fine, they are useless most of the time. We got AMBA and RECA, I think it is enough, buzz off and get a real job. Of course every society has the few wants to police, over regulate and most likely will succeed.
  • Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 21 Oct 2014, 01:09 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for your thoughtful comments.
    AMIPROS is a non-profit, voluntary association without membership fees that provides education and training to those providing private and syndicated mortgages to consumers. I am sure you are familiar with the concept of voluntary as you did not include your name. And I'd never include the word "cushy" when starting a new venture. Cheers
  • Private Lender Inc. | 21 Oct 2014, 01:23 PM Agree 0
    I am on the net, I am not hiding. www.myprivatelender.com Good luck.
  • Ronald Caissie | 21 Oct 2014, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    Are you going to set up in Ontario only.
    Very noteable endeavour.
    Good luck.
  • Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 21 Oct 2014, 03:46 PM Agree 0
    Thanks Ronald. We're launching with an Ontario focus to begin with (only because we're physically located in Ontario) however our education and certifications will be available nationwide immediately. Our course exams can be written at any college or university throughout Canada.

We plan to get our legs in Ontario and reach out to everyone in the other provinces in the coming months with a goal of being fully national in 2015.
  • Victor Simone | 21 Oct 2014, 05:41 PM Agree 0
    If Mr. Joseph White is involved, it gains instant credibility from many that have worked with REMIC in the past.

Any website for AMIPROS ? Cool name by the way.
  • Versico | 21 Oct 2014, 05:45 PM Agree 0
    Joe is on the right track.
  • Ron Butler | 21 Oct 2014, 06:34 PM Agree 0
    I think Joe should publish the list of his advisory board on the AMIPROS website. I would like to see the names of some of the people who may have been the motivating forces behind this new group.
  • Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 21 Oct 2014, 07:26 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for your support, Victor. The website is www.amipros.org. Drop by and have a look and let me know what you think. Cheers

• Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 21 Oct 2014, 07:26 PM Agree 0
    Thanks Versico, I appreciate your support.
  • Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 21 Oct 2014, 07:36 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for your interest, Ron. We're in the process of putting together the advisory board. Once done I look forward to announcing it.

The motivating force behind this non-profit association was driven by the industry in general, discussions with various industry participants including private mortgage lenders and syndicators, the increasing number of inquiries REMIC was getting about private and syndicated mortgage education, as well as conversations that I've had with the FSCO and the MOF.

My belief is that AMIPROS will be of benefit to both the industry and consumers, and welcome anyone and everyone who shares that goal to play a constructive role in building AMIPROS.

Cheers
  • Al Tordjman | 24 Oct 2014, 05:27 PM Agree 0
    As a private lender I have searched for associations for private lenders in southern Ontario and education around underwriting deals (e.g. interpreting credit reports, assessing properties, client financial affairs, structuring deals, etc.) but am unable to find neither. I am not interested in courses on Ethics, Regulations, Completing government documents etc. Not sure if AMIPROS will offer such opportunities. Any suggestions?
  • Ranjit | 25 Oct 2014, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    Joseph;
    CAAMP is also a non for profit org but the CEO makes hundreds of thousands of dollars and is on Cash for Life Program!

Mr. White, Please don't tell me that 100% of your time in this new org is Volunteer and you will not be compensated in any shape of form! I know you better than that!
  • Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 27 Oct 2014, 09:34 AM Agree 0
    Hi Al,
    Our CPM, Certified in Private Mortgages will include a great deal of information on underwriting a private mortgage. Please feel free to email me directly at joe.white@amipros.org or call us directly at 1-888-959-2975.
    Cheers,
    Joe
  • Joseph White, President, AMIPROS | 27 Oct 2014, 09:44 AM Agree 0
    Hi Ranjit,
    I don't think that is a fair comment about CAAMP or their CEO, but they can speak for themselves.
    As for AMIPROS, we are all volunteers at this stage. We've identified a way in which we feel we can have a positive impact in an industry that has been remarkably good to all of us.
    While I appreciate your concern for my income REMIC is the industry leader in agent education for licensing, so I'm doing okay.
    Cheers,
    Joe
Post a reply