Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 14 Apr 2014, 09:21 AM Agree 0
A new anti-spam law – that will require express consent of newsletter subscribers – will come into effect July 1, 2014 and brokers who currently disseminate newsletters are scrambling to become compliant. One broker offers his tips.
  • Ron Miller | 15 Apr 2014, 10:11 AM Agree 0
    I think it is a dumb law. Generally people aren't concerned with the odd email from a broker or Realtor.

It is the 100 or so total junk emails from other countries. How do you stop them?
  • Lior, Mortgage Edge | 16 Apr 2014, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    Ron,

I beg to differ, I am one of those people who is very much annoyed when other brokerages send out emails that they have direct access to private money (most of the time they don't), co-broker deals with us, etc.

Here is a tip to the few consistent violators out there who like to spam agents and brokers at other brokerages: RESEARCH your prospects before you add their email to your mailing list. Sending out mass emails telling other brokers that you can do a private deal is waste of your time and it also demonstrates that as a salesperson you are a true loser who is afraid to pick up the phone and call. Sending out an email about private money to a broker who does private deals on a regular basis not only makes you look stupid and desperate, but the chances of you receiving any business are non-existent.

I can't tell you how many spam emails like that I receive on a regular basis, particularly one Mortgage Alliance agent who keeps sending spam despite the fact I opt out.

I look forward to this law putting a stop to this nonsense and for violators to pay hefty fines.
  • Ron Miller | 16 Apr 2014, 04:15 PM Agree 0
    Lior,

I hear what you mean. I get them as well. They do get deleted.

But if a new genuine lender comes along, I don't want them to be breaking the law by sending me an email with their announcement. New lenders are a huge plus for getting deals done that current lenders won't do.

What irritates me is the 100 emails a day from NuWaveCooktopSale@zrfidsquan.us, Dr.OzSkinSecret@ovololompocwhbl.us, SleepApnea@stocklifer.biz, BloodPressureSolution@glareskafstarn.us, NewReverseMortgageOptions@a1hfetp.us, etc.

Post a reply