Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 11 Feb 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The CMHC should be privatized to minimize taxpayer risk if a housing crisis occurs, conservative think-tank The Fraser Institute argued in a report released earlier this week.
  • John Heath - Broker | 12 Feb 2010, 04:49 AM Agree 0
    I am not going to speak one way or the other on a housing bubble, or Fraser's argument. What I will point out is CMHC has "made" taxpayers $7 Billion in the last 10 years. 7 Billion in profit....
  • Ted Jones | 18 Feb 2010, 05:26 AM Agree 0
    You know it is typical for the Fraser Institute and their comments. They are the "first" to come out and suggest that the Provincial and Federal Governments to "sell off" profitable areas of the government. I can recall when "BC Hydro" should be sold off and run by private enterprise. CMHC? Give your head a shake. We already have several "private" insurers who quite frankly have no ability to function as efficiently and consistantly in Canada. I do not want to see another crown corporation sold off to the fine financial wizards south of the 49th parallel only to have Canadians once again "paying the price" for stupidity or should I say self interest in Provincial and Federal governments.
  • mortgage needs | 22 Jun 2010, 06:17 AM Agree 0
    If the Aussie govt. mortgage default insurer was only privatized within the last 10 years, then the question is whether it has been time-tested enough, and their risk models robust enough to withstand any sort of substantial price correction similar to that in the U.S.
  • mortgage needs | 22 Jun 2010, 06:21 AM Agree 0
    private insurers asking for government bailouts; and governments will consider by virtue of their large size/portfolio in the usual "too big to fail" scenario, affecting a wide swathe of public home owners.
Post a reply