Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 24 Jul 2014, 10:39 AM Agree 0
The chief economist of the Bank of Montreal is showing more caution in the property market, but mainly in two areas.
  • Margaret Shinners | 24 Jul 2014, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    I think putting a non-resident tax is an awesome idea. It is one way that it will help Canada pay for its ailing medical system.
  • Daniel McKay | 24 Jul 2014, 02:30 PM Agree 0
    Imposing a non-resident tax would most likely chase away too much foreign investment, particularly from Asia. I doubt we will see such a tax imposed as increasing trade and improving relations with Asia, and China in particular seem to be pretty high on the government's agenda.
  • Ritha Khemani | 25 Jul 2014, 12:36 AM Agree 0
    The nonresident tax seems like an awesome suggestion, and will spare the whole economy a lot of pain if and when the bubble bursts. Taxation of property transactions has worked very well in Belgium and needs to be studied and considered for Canada.
  • Ron Butler | 25 Jul 2014, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    Although Mr. Porter is an eminent economist I think he also know the chance there will ever be a non-resident tax is zero.

Federal governments have no interest in preventing capital from flowing into this country.
Post a reply