Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 26 Jul 2010, 03:48 PM Agree 0
Dominion Lending Centres has signed on Canadian hockey commentator Don Cherry for its new TV commercials, launching September 2010.
  • Mike From Marmora | 28 Jul 2010, 02:58 AM Agree 0
    From the "honey" in their TV ads with the "I just got up from a roll in the hay" hair-do, to Don "I are a financial genius" Cherry.

It sure would be great if the "super brokers" tried to lead the industry by advertising with at least a passing nod towards providing the consumer with a professional image of our industry and not that of a "hooker & a hockey player".
  • Jorge from Toronto | 28 Jul 2010, 04:21 AM Agree 0
    You can say that again Mike. Is this what the "super broker" DLC is trying to do, by trying to sweeten their business by using a figure to sway Canadians to use them? Come on get real, this industry is becoming a joke when the "Super Broker" DLC has to use a knock em sock em figure to sway Canadians to use their services. Hire great professionals who know what their doing instead of this.
  • John | 28 Jul 2010, 10:24 PM Agree 0
    Come on guys, he is one of the more respected people in Canada. Suddenly a hockey player is not good enough for the public.
  • John | 28 Jul 2010, 10:25 PM Agree 0
    Well, look at his portfolio of business's. Look at his bank account. The guy, actually his daughter, IS a financial genius.
  • Cindy | 28 Jul 2010, 11:20 PM Agree 0
    Just because your company can't hire a Canadian icon, doesn't mean DLC shouldn't. What has your company done to promote you and make your business a household name?
  • Go For It! | 29 Jul 2010, 09:18 AM Agree 0
    I don’t see why people think this is such a bad idea, I’m all for it. Don is a spitting image of Gary Mauris. That’s the DLC image and model.Go get em fellas!!
  • Sally from Toronto | 31 Jul 2010, 05:23 AM Agree 0
    People...I suggest if you work for DLC then good for you but do not say that DLC is a household name in mortgages. Remember it is not the name of the comapny you work for but the service as a mortgage professional that makes you well known in your community.
  • Michelle | 06 Aug 2010, 01:29 PM Agree 0
    I agree with majority of the comments. But I guess Don Cherry and DLC have a lot in common!! I actually would be quite pissed off if I was a DLC broker and this is what my advertising money was being spent on.
  • mortgage needs | 07 Aug 2010, 12:23 AM Agree 0
    Can we typify it as being a "guy thing" or a "Canadian thing" ?
  • Educating the public | 13 Aug 2010, 10:15 AM Agree 0
    Why would anyone be pissed off if their company was trying to use an extremely well known personality to help boost their name and the services they provide? This industry has done a terrible job of educating the public on what a mortgage agent can do -- hence why only about 30% of Canadians use us versus the banks! No other company has taken charge of telling Canadians why they should use a mortgage agent instead of settling on what their bank has. That statistic alone tells us that 7 out of 10 Canadians don't understand what we can do for them. Good for DLC. All of the industry should be looking at ways to tell the public about what we do and if DLC can afford a big name like Don Cherry to help lead this initiative, good on them. It will bring very positive attention to all mortgage agents and our services.
  • Lynne | 14 Aug 2010, 03:05 AM Agree 0
    Maybe Jorge in Toronto should get his brokerage to hire those "great professionals who know what they are doing" and let DLC go about their business as they see fit. I mean really, why does he care anyway? I'm sure if the DLC brokers don't like what their advertising dollars are going toward, they will make it known by jumping ship.
  • Jessica | 10 Oct 2010, 09:55 AM Agree 0
    I think its awesome! Haters always going to hate
  • JohnnyTheBroker | 27 Oct 2010, 04:40 AM Agree 0
    Don Cherry is one the most popular Canadians. Voted one of the most trusted Canadians. There is no con to signing him to an advertising campaign. I am excited about the future. Being a member of a DLC team, I have no problem having our advertising dollars spent on this man. He is only going to educate the Canadian public about our industry and even those not signed with DLC are going to see an increase in business. Those who are crying about the issue should grab a tissue because its going to help you too. Grow up and get excited about the future.
  • Sharie | 28 Oct 2010, 02:25 AM Agree 0
    I think more promotion and education about the broker industry, is always a good thing. The majority of the public, atleast in my area anyways, are still always surprised when I explain to them what brokers do. We need more advertising out there. Personally, I love Don Cherry, think he's hillarious, and really is a Canadian icon. I would rather our advertising be done by someone viewed as more of a financial leader, vs a comedian, but maybe at this point that's what it takes to get people to notice. Overall I think this will be a positive campaign..
  • Jim | 02 Nov 2010, 05:50 AM Agree 0
    So, as a Dominion Lending Centres mortgage broker, I think having Don on board to do some advertising for Dominion is great!! Really, I think it's all about getting the public educated on what mortgage brokers do and to show them they have more options than their local bank. It's a step in the right direction for all brokers. Besides that, Dominion Lending's Advertising campaigns, support systems & training is one of the best that I've seen. If your a broker and not with Dominion Lending... call one of your local Dominion Lending Brokers and see what it's all about :)
  • Grant | 09 Dec 2010, 11:47 AM Agree 0
    1) Don Cherry costing DLC approximately $250,000 per year and not the $2.0 Million they claim. Why does DLC always have to exaggerate their numbers! Number of brokers, Number of franchises, origination Size,……

2) Gary is famous for giving signing bonuses to recruit franchises, where does that money come from? Advertising fund?

3) A franchise with just 20 brokers would pay $36,000 in annual advertising; does that franchise get $36,000 worth of Value and Business? nope

4) Not even one single broker knows how their money is spent; they have no say on to spend it! Is Gary’s lavish life style, expensive parties, Drinking are covered by that fund?

5) If I was a DLC broker I would ask for an Audit of my advertising Fund! Don’t you should know where your money is going?

6) If DLC is so great why have they closed over 23 franchises for the past 16 months?
  • Gary Mauris | 09 Dec 2010, 05:18 PM Agree 0
    Gary Mauris said in reply to gthom@yahoo.com...
    Hi gthom,

I appreciate and understand your right to free speech. You seem to think you know a lot about our company so here are the facts:

The Don Cherry campaign will cost more than $10 million dollars over the next 3 years. Yes, the talent fee is in the $250k per year range, but the real cost is the production and the airtime on CBC, CTV, Global, Hockey Night in Canada, Sportsnet and TSN.

Our numbers have never been exaggerated. They are as follows:

More than 1850 active mortgage agents across Canada.

More than 200 licensed assistants and support staff.

A head office team of 24 devoted people to grow our agents' business.

160 franchises with more than 300 street front locations.

I would like to know who the 16 franchises are that have closed.

We have had two owners pass away in the last 12 months, but both their operations have been taken over by their family members. We had one owner who got devastatingly sick and took a leave for extended medical treatment, and one office that we terminated in Alberta for misconduct and breach of agreement more than 2 years ago.

The advertising fund update goes out to our entire network every quarter and any person in our company is welcome to any breakdown they require.

We have zero debt, no lines of credit, own our buildings and are a very well funded company.

We invest heavily in our business because we believe in network, our brand, our agents and owners.

We definitely will pay the conversion costs when we bring over established producing teams including licensing, business cards, signage, etc. and we think this money is very well spent. That money does not come from our advertising fund, nor do our training events, our National DLC Universities, our Las Vegas conference, or any of the tools that we create and supply our agents. Our advertising fund is for advertising. Turn on your news, watch a hockey game or destination television and you will see where our dollars go. For the record, since signing Don Cherry our web traffic and agent leads have sky rocketed.

I can be reached anytime at 604.939.8777 or via email to gary@dominionlending.ca if you want to learn more about DLC.

Next time, I would recommend getting the facts straight before you recklessly spread ill will, rhetoric, innuendo and malicious rumours.

Gary Mauris
    President
    Dominion Lending Centres
  • John | 10 Dec 2010, 06:54 AM Agree 0
    I can't comment on Gary's personal lifestyle, but I know he spreads his/company money around very generously at the different events the company sponsors, be it recruiting events, universities, CAAMP events etc. I have enjoyed his generosity, and it is why I have the respect for him and the company. Everyone I have met from DLC, Gene, Chad, Jay, all speak so highly of him, it can't all be company rhetoric. My experience with Gary is of a man passionate to being the biggest and best in the business and bringing even more credibility to the brokerage industry as a whole. And he has met all of the above goals from what I see.

Jeese, Grant, you must believe that you were done real dirty by Gary/DLC to post such vicious comments, especially when you have no proof of what you are saying.
  • Gary Mauris | 10 Dec 2010, 04:51 PM Agree 0
    Hi John,

Thanks you for the support. Your comments are exceptionally kind. I wish I knew your last name so I could connect a little more informally . Anyway you have made my day, THANK YOU.
Post a reply