Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 16 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
DLC opened registration for its NHL playoff hockey pool Monday, and it is proving a useful tool for engaging clients and bringing in new customers.
  • Vince Gaetano | 17 Apr 2013, 06:22 AM Agree 0
    I applaud Dominion Lending for coming up with a creative interactive marketing idea that engages clients and potential referral sources. One question, are outside mortgage brokers allowed to participate? :)
  • Jason | 17 Apr 2013, 10:29 AM Agree 0
    Not to be a downer but if a hockey pool is "bringing in new customers" I am not sure those are the clients I would want to work with. I would rather talk to my clients about their financial well being instead of worrying about if they took player a b or c in a hockey pool.
  • Cindy Freiman | 17 Apr 2013, 01:27 PM Agree 0
    Hi Vince. Thanks for the kudos :) Yes, feel free to participate. It's open to everyone 18+ across Canada (excluding Quebec due to specific rules there governing pools/contests that we were not able to meet prior to launching this year's pool).
  • Vince Gaetano | 17 Apr 2013, 01:53 PM Agree 0
    Jason, I appreciate your perspective on a business level but differentiation is key when you are dealing with a commodity. As we see the marketplace moving towards rate sites that showcase the lowest rate, initiatives like this (I'm not a DLC agent) act as the glue that can make the client stick. Talking about the financial well being may work for you and is probably your glue that makes your clients stick. You should be proud of it. Knocking a fair marketing initiative that compliments their hockey themed marketing campaign seems like sour grapes....
  • John Dearin | 19 Apr 2013, 10:50 AM Agree 0
    I'm a DLC broker and I talk to my clients about all their interests, including mortgages. Not only does it help me get to know my client, but it also shows I am in this for more than the "deal". this contest is a bit of fun and I am hoping to be able to compare notes with my clients throughout the contest. What a way to keep in contact with a client without looking like your just after more business.
  • Ron Butler | 20 Apr 2013, 01:05 PM Agree 0
    John and Vince are right, this is just good marketing and good fun, a good idea from DLC. It's not required that all of our interactions with our clients are 100% business or financial oriented.
Post a reply