Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Broker campaign to steal BMO's thunder

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 09 Mar 2012, 11:00 AM Agree 0
Take that, BMO! A broker is borrowing from the playbook of Canada’s most effective retailers, launched an offer meant to counter the now-infamous 2.99 rate.
  • Shawn Mooney | 10 Mar 2012, 04:50 AM Agree 0
    Excellent. I think it is a great idea. Pretty easy to show clients the benefits of going elsewhere for their mortgage.
  • Bentley | 10 Mar 2012, 06:31 AM Agree 0
    Second that, great idea.
  • Mark Norman - AMP (ACME Financial) | 10 Mar 2012, 06:40 AM Agree 0

Some may view this as an expensive challenge, but I don't see that at all. As brokers, we’re constantly telling people that we provide a free service and we have better options. Using that model, we have everything to gain, but only IF the potential client sees value in something that’s free, which is where we all struggle. This challenge puts our value directly in the spotlight, and it ensures we have to prove our abilities, because we have everything to lose. As a non discount broker who uses the Williamson approach to adding value over buying rate. I have choosen to be better, not cheaper, because a cheaper rate doesn’t guarantee savings. If we race to the bottom in that manner, we become the Walmart model of financial services, and we’ll have to pump though twice the volume of discounted products to ensure stability in our revenue, but clients will then get half my attention and my relationships and retention will slip. This puts me in a perpetual cycle to find more clients. No thanks. That said, on a $300k mortgage I only have to find $2300 in savings to prove I can beat the 2.99 rate savings, against other lenders 5 year offerings and since I routinely find ways to shorten amortization length and streamline debt obligations, paying one $299 for every 10 clients I meet with is the cheapest form of attracting clients to my business I can think of. It’s time to put our money where our mouths are. Join me in this revolution and join the conversation on twitter: #299challenge

I'm not going to pay out $299 if I can prove my theory just because someone just wants the cash. My commitment is that I will go deeper and find a better strategy for you, which is what we all boast we do anyway. I think it's time we put our money where our mouths are and not just claim to have value, but actually quantify it with individual clients that would not have found us otherwise.
  • Jessi | 10 Mar 2012, 06:41 AM Agree 0
    Awesome!
  • Ron Butler | 10 Mar 2012, 06:51 AM Agree 0
    Well Done
  • Drover | 10 Mar 2012, 07:57 AM Agree 0
    Hear , Hear ! Well done Mark and congrats on being innovative and having the courage to take this challenge on!
  • Story behind the story | 10 Mar 2012, 01:42 PM Agree 0
    Who is he kidding, if BMO was buying Broker business he would be all over it shouting from the top of the mountains, what a joke
  • Corinna | 11 Mar 2012, 03:10 AM Agree 0
    Bravo! What a fantastic idea!!! Thank you Mark Norman for taking time to challenge brokers to think differently - I will be for sure! Because I too have the strategy, I will be doing something similar in my market. Keep us posted on how well it goes!!!!!
  • Mark Norman - St. John's | 11 Mar 2012, 05:13 AM Agree 0
    No SBTS, he would not. We have access to a 2.99% product via AGF Trust right now as well, and it's far more flexible than BMO's product. That's not the issue here, but unfortunately, it appears you don't actually see the story behind this story.
Post a reply