Forum

Broker news forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
Mortgage Broker News | 25 Aug 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A racist listing on a Calgary website has shocked locals
  • @Calgarynewsboy | 26 Aug 2010, 12:38 AM Agree 0
    Here's the mortgage broker who was targeted in this ad, taek a look at the rest of the story:
  • dave | 26 Aug 2010, 01:21 AM Agree 0
    the mortgage broker wasnt targetted in the ad, they gave her advertising space like adwords on random listings. shes just making an name of her self, well either way good for her for using that site since its different
  • Bev | 26 Aug 2010, 03:28 AM Agree 0
    i like it. deep down many people feel this way but its not politically correct to voice your opinion.
  • j | 26 Aug 2010, 05:06 AM Agree 0
    sounds like a good buy to me..wish I lived in Calgary :)
  • n | 26 Aug 2010, 10:29 AM Agree 0
    why so serious and make a big deal out of it?
  • h | 26 Aug 2010, 01:48 PM Agree 0
    it is gathering place of ignorant uneducated people.
  • boo | 26 Aug 2010, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    This is not racism, tons of asian/brown people advertise that they are in a highly populated asian community, but as soon as someone states anything that makes white people sound better its racist? Stop being so sensitive and realise that some people dont want to live with a bunch of people who cant speak english
  • Boo2 | 27 Aug 2010, 01:18 AM Agree 0
    1) The broker HAD control, it's called Due Diligence. Obviously the broker didn't ask where ad space is being advertised. The broker has only herself to blame for not asking and protecting herself via contract/policy agreements. Obviously she needs to take more "Business" courses to know how to RUN a business, not just "be a broker". (and you wonder why consumers bitch & complain that real estate agents and brokers do crap for the commissions they make - it pulls down the rest of those who really do WORK)

2) the ad itself. Dumb part on the advertiser. Period.

3) If the seller is moving, why the F&*K do they care? Unless they're moving next door. Sheesh. Dumb part on the SELLER..
  • Boo2 | 27 Aug 2010, 01:19 AM Agree 0
    4) obviously NOTHING's FREE! You get what you paid for.
  • Double Standard | 27 Aug 2010, 01:20 AM Agree 0
    Boo that is SO TRUE. Just like it is ok to say "White do not need to apply for this job" but if you said no black/asian, etc the country would be in an uproar. We need to take our head out of our you know what and get rid of the PC B.S.
  • Dr Bouvet | 27 Aug 2010, 01:35 AM Agree 0
    both the ad and the responses are what I'd expect from Calgary.
  • Brilliant | 27 Aug 2010, 01:36 AM Agree 0
    What this person did was very clever actually, has anyone thought that it might have been craigslist themselves. Look at how much media coverage this got, and attention. Perfect marketing strategy, look at Hollywood - bad press is better than no press!
  • Dave | 27 Aug 2010, 01:37 AM Agree 0
    Probably reflects the views of 99.9% of white people
  • Greg in Cambridge | 27 Aug 2010, 01:46 AM Agree 0
    At some point, people willl get fed up with over immigration
  • Canadian | 27 Aug 2010, 01:52 AM Agree 0
    The writer of the ad has every right to excercise their free speech and personal preference. They simply are what they are. Calgaryfinder.com, however, as a corporate citizen, should show some semblance of having a moral obligation to protect the population it serves (which i believe is culturally diverse) and not be an advocate for bigotry by publicizing messages which are clearly offensive against specific group(s).
  • Jeremy | 27 Aug 2010, 01:56 AM Agree 0
    Are you serious or just ignorant? I invite you to crawl out of your little box and see the rest of the world. Sounds like you and the seller share the same mentality.
  • Joe | 27 Aug 2010, 02:09 AM Agree 0
    Wow! That sounds like a good deal. I'm going to get my white friend to buy it!
  • a brown woman | 27 Aug 2010, 02:13 AM Agree 0
    Wow it is disapointing to hear all that has been said. The older I get the more I realize racism is huge in Canada. Yes, everyone is making a big deal but from the coments I see we are divided.
  • T | 27 Aug 2010, 02:28 AM Agree 0
    Wow, I guess they really don't need to sell their house too badly. Talk about limiting your market! Not only are you turning away a large percentage of potential buyers who are 'not white' but you are also turning off many white people who find that nonsense to be in poor taste.
    I sure wouldn't want to look at that place. In this market you can't afford to be stupid like that.
    Also, I don't think that people should make a judgement on the whole city of Calgary just based on that AD. Isn't that what racism is all about? Making assumptions based on limited experience? It's hypocritical.
  • John | 27 Aug 2010, 02:30 AM Agree 0
    Wonder what the neighbors think?
  • Jerry | 27 Aug 2010, 02:33 AM Agree 0
    The ad should have been screened, even if the seller thinks that way, It's not politically correct. This poor girl just got linked to the add for trying to do some advertising. Calgaryfinder.com should have someone screen these ads before publishing.
  • Roberto Noriega | 27 Aug 2010, 03:03 AM Agree 0
    Reportedly stated 'white buyer only' infuriated a number of anti bigots. Presumably the anti bigots are those belonging to a different ethnicity.
    But how about those so-called WHITER THAN WHITE? The ethnic themselves who embraces the white culture more conspicuously and brazenly gaudily - how they look and sound - without realizing the fact that we are still the same GOOK as we are called by these people whom we are trying to emulate with great admiration. I am a Filipino myself now Canadian citizen. I have no problem encountering bigots who are foreign nationals. I could understand the xenophobic ignorance of some. But to my compatriots themselves or, whoever belonging to ones' same ethnicity or community treating their fellow ethnics with condescending demeanour - who are WHITER THAN WHITE..
    I rest my case.
    Roberto
  • what if | 27 Aug 2010, 03:04 AM Agree 0
    what if a black person did this and said the same thing regarding white people? i highly doubt it would have even been noticed or talked about.
  • Tina | 27 Aug 2010, 05:23 AM Agree 0
    Boy the world is sure a hard place to live in when part of society has trouble getting along with others among us. Life is too short to be carrying so much anger towards anyone! Find something more useful to do with your time.
  • S'up | 27 Aug 2010, 05:24 AM Agree 0
    Its dumb to limit your choice of buyers to just "whites" but I guess it is also your right to be stupid. I did not find the action racist, only stupid!
  • Steve | 27 Aug 2010, 06:04 AM Agree 0
    I bet it was gone right away!
  • Carm | 28 Aug 2010, 01:23 AM Agree 0
    was done only to make noise and sell it faster....
  • M | 28 Aug 2010, 05:18 AM Agree 0
    People just need to get along. Jeez. The colour of a person't skin as an excuse is getting rather old I must say. As a "white" immigrant to this country I can say that I enjoy lots of other cultures and food especially Indian food, Vietnamese food and Japanese food. I enjoy learning about other countries and their culture.
    This type of "white" only advertising is quite 1950's mentality and disgusts me.
  • Human Race | 29 Aug 2010, 03:49 PM Agree 0
    Re: Dr Bouvet Jeremy | 27/08/2010
    Are you serious or just ignorant? I invite you to crawl out of your little box and see the rest of the world. Sounds like you and the seller share the same mentality.
  • Ignorance is Your Down Fall | 29 Aug 2010, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    "racist ad Bev | 26/08/2010
    i like it. deep down many people feel this way but its not politically correct to voice your opinion". Really? what BS to generalize with "many people". What, there is a bunch of closet racist wanna be's. Too afraid to come out and take a fundamental position on one's principle. If that is the case, these people are living a lie and pretending to be happy - so sad. This is a free country with free speech and everyone can voice their opinion and not worried about serious repercussions. If "these" people deep down truly feel that way, then I suggest they join an ultra rightwing political party and vote for a racist/white only platform. Oh yeah, the KKK got really far politically#@%. People are people. Is the seller really racist or just got a neighbor (who happens to be from a minority group) and did not get along with them and now broad stroke everyone non-white because this sound bite is easier to express than really trying to express his true feelings about non-white people. It could very well be bad neighbors who could be white and one could still have the same sentiments about a bad neighbor; but we would just call that neighbor a sh**head. Did this seller really got to know his neighbor and they him. Once you cross the yard and fence and meet your neighbors (regardless of race) you'll find you share a lot more in common. As to being politically correct, yes society has adopted certain catch phrases that deem insulting, bad manner and generally poor taste in choice of words: For example: Frenchmen, Englishmen ok, Chinamen no, Negro/Nigger no but African Canadian ok, Whitetrash no but dude is cool. My point is be politically correct also could mean being polite and not insult others as we don't want to be insulted ourselves. One last point (this freedom of speech is a drag because I have so much to say), the true color in this world is the color of money. Globalization of economies and societies means we are all connected. This global recession should be a wake up call to everyone white and non-white. That we are all connected; our fortune/prosperity or the lack off is connected. Where do you think we export our stuff to? US yes but they are in bad economic shape and not buying as much anymore. We seek new markets and pray that China and India to buy more Cdn so we can continue prosperity here. Remember who brought down the global economy. It was a bunch a white dudes in the states who concocted greedy bad lending schemes that brought the banking system to its knees globally. But I have never read anything that blames whites for this and they call this "white collar" crime. Please reach out to others and not reach in to ones ignorance because the latter has proven time again to be ones greatest down fall.
  • White Person | 31 Aug 2010, 04:29 AM Agree 0
    So if the person put that it is in a sought after Asian community, or in a sought after Indian community, and that they would only sell to people of those races, would there be such a fuss? Most likely no. Why? Because they are minorities and are 'allowed' to do this. But since we are white and we are the majority...shame on us. I am so sick of this reverse racism. Black people have their own awards shows, their own magazines, etc, but if we put out a just white award show we would be shot on sight. It's ridiculous. Don't go getting all upset but then want it your way when the time comes.
  • kkk | 31 Aug 2010, 05:15 PM Agree 0
    whities are biggots. period.
  • Ivan | 02 Sep 2010, 04:15 AM Agree 0
    most respondents are right
    it is time to think about the problem of over immigration
    why are we so open to every and any colour, religion and minority ?
    and we are so proud of it?
    why most islamic countries do not allow christian immigration, but almost every christian nation welcomes moslems ?
    some cities are closed for non-moslems altogether, even for visiting
    it is not an issue about this particular house in this "white" community, it is a way more serious problem
  • Tim | 02 Sep 2010, 05:50 AM Agree 0
    My take on this whole discussion is that the politically correct left have actually created even more racism in this country by inadvertently creating reverse discrimination. With hiring quotas and special interest groups getting the attention of government and corporate bureaucracy the average "white male" is starting to feel alientated in this country. I don't want anything MORE than anyone else just because I am white, I want the SAME as everyone else regardless of your sex, race,religion, sexual orientation, or colour. When one group, such as white males, feel they are at a disadvantage from birth, you are going to create the one thing that you were trying to combat and that is evem nore racism and bigotry.
  • Keep Religion out | 02 Sep 2010, 07:19 AM Agree 0
    Don't bring religion into this. There are white Christians and white Muslims (spell it right). There are whites and nonwhites in other religions around the world. Peel back the skin and everyone is this ugly flesh and bone; seen Body Worlds.
  • anan | 06 Sep 2010, 04:06 AM Agree 0
  • mike | 06 Sep 2010, 11:59 AM Agree 0
    For years most non-whites in Calgary have lived in the North of Calgary. Traditionally this area was poorer and more crime was prevalent. Then in the last 5-7 years, more non-whites have moved south. This has caused a silent exodus of rich white people to move just outside the city boundaries in gated acreages. These new acreages of white people know each other and are very limiting as to who can buy a house in their community. These people also are abadoning the public school system and sending their kids to very rich "generally white only" private schools. Of Course a school cannot say they are "white only" but the school can say admittance is granted to previous alumuni or founding parent members. This trend of the exodus of white people is continuing and growing as we speak. Besides ask an person who has lived in south calgary for at least 20years and they will confirm it.
  • wtf | 07 Sep 2010, 06:01 PM Agree 0
    wtf is this ....... I can't beleive some of the comments made here. just goes to show that racism is rampant in this country as is ignorance.

ethnics aren't stupid enough to just sell to their own kind, they just want the damn house sold, they don't care who buys it, unlike some other stupid people.

Regarding over immigration, just realize that this country was built by immigrants...chinese, italians, etc.
  • exodus comment | 18 Sep 2010, 03:29 AM Agree 0
    don't generalize something by your observation. show me proof that whites left a neighborhood to get away from non-white. i have friends who are non-white who live in these rich areas you speak of: elbow valley, bearspaw, bragg creek. that is bs that these whites can limit who buys into what community. you are full of it. gated community huh...yeah white folks love their trailer parks and keeping non-whites out yeh. if you are not part of the solution, you are the problem.
  • mike | 23 Sep 2010, 10:49 AM Agree 0
    Thats great that your friends live in Bearspaw, elbow valley and bragg creek. The community i live in is much wealthier than those areas. im glad to hear you did not mention my area. As for gated community, why actually, mine does have a gate every time i drive through it in the morning. As for proof, go to the city of calgary and look at community statistics, it will tell ethnic makeup and annual income for the last 10 years. That nosedives in some southern communities when the white people leave. As for never letting people like you in our neighbourhood, i think we are doing an excellent job.
  • LittleJamie | 27 Mar 2011, 08:48 AM Agree 0
    Hey!

I'm just dropping by to say hello, I'm new here :)
Post a reply